what it is to be a mommy

This is the second blog I posted today, so make sure you scroll down and check out the other one. I have a story to tell you. This morning around 8:00 I was feeding Ayla her baby food. A delicious breakfast of oatmeal, apples and bananas all pureed together...yum! She finished breakfast with some cheerios eaten carefully one by one. I always make sure to say, "numnum" when she is eating finger foods to help her remember to chew. She'll say "numnum" back and chew while she says it. She ate great. She had only two cheerios left on her tray so I started to clean up. I turn my back for one whole second and Ayla puts both cheerios in at the same time and starts to gag. This is a pretty common occurance with her... it seems our little girl has a relatively sensitive gag reflex. The thing about it is that everytime she starts to gag, she throws up. I've been through this enough to know what's coming so I brace myself. She proceeds to upchuck her oatmeal/banana/apple delight(looking exactly the same coming up) while I try to calm her and tell her she is okay because she always gets upset when she throws up.

So into the tub we go. I get her in, and out, lotioned, dressed, combed and good to go. Then I go clean up the puke mess. wipewipewipe. Taking a moment to catch my breath I feel as though I have run a marathon and it is only 9am! I was trying to get us ready to go to the grocery store, even though I am still in my pajamas- shorts, a tank top, with a long sleeve shirt over it. "ok" I decide, "I'll just throw on some jeans." I throw Ayla into her walker which usually keeps her relatively strapped in and I run upstairs and throw on a pair of jeans. I grab a bra which I am about to put on when I hear a crash and Ayla start crying. I fly down the stairs with bra in hand and see a plant laying on the floor, dirt everywhere, Ayla looking as though she KNOWS she has done something wrong. I stick her in her car seat where she is STRAPPED IN and grab the vacuum and start to clean up the dirt mess. vacuumvacuumvacuum. I get me bra on, underneath my pajama shirts, get us both in the car and go to the store.

I am walking around the store when suddenly I notice that something doesn't feel right. I tug at my shirt and realize that somehow after getting my bra on I got my arms back through the sleeves of my long sleeve shirt, but NOT my tank top and so I am wearing my tank top around my waist, and I am walking around Sentry as it slides lower and lower down my hips. Hmmm...what to do now? I tuck it up kinda under my arms and hurry to finish my shopping.

I pay, go home, and go in the bathroom to fix my clothing. I look into the mirror and realize my left eye is all crusted over still with sleep. Lovely. I'm having my friend over with her baby, so I am trying to get the house clean so I'm running top speed around the house so I can still have time to get myself cleaned up. As I run to the basement stairs I SLAM my knee into the door as I'm opening it;..the kind of pain that makes you not be able to breathe.

When my friend gets to my house I am feeling clean and prepared and happy to see her. I hold the door open for her and then follow her into the house. the door catches my heel and I fall forward in pain. I burst into tears. Well, at least my shirt is on right!

Comments

Grammy Pammy said…
At least it was your tank top going down around your waste, and not your bra :)
Grammy Pammy said…
Oops! English major, am I? That would be "waist," not "waste." Thank you for sharing your story; it was too good to waist :)
Anonymous said…
gotta love those days!
What a story this was, wonder how Ayla would tell it?

Popular Posts