Happy First Birthday Zeke!
One year ago today a small child opened up a new level of love in our hearts. Zeke Jacob Germann was born! And it's said all the time - but we really can't believe he is one year old! And we also can't believe how blessed we are to have him. Zeke is a curious, self motivated, sweet boy - full of smiles, baby talk and joy. Although if you remove him from something he is particularly enjoying he will throw himself backward and cry - no matter the surface! (we have lots of hardwood floors....).
As with every child nicknames abound and Zeke is no different. The ones that have made it through year one are "piper" as in "zeker piper" and to me (jake) "littlest boy". Zeke IS growing (he has his check up next week) but he still just seems so little to me. I would assume this is in part because we have a nearly 4 year old daughter - and when you carry her and then Zeke - a bit of a difference!
As Zeke reaches one year he is pretty mobile - although not walking. He just recently started walking behind his walker so I imagine he's on pace to get there in a couple months. Otherwise he has no real need to walk since he can simply CRUISE by crawling when he wants to. Some of his fastest moments come when he his pushing a car or truck around. It's amazing how you don't have to teach boys this stuff - he finds a car of any sort and just starts pushing it along. Other quick crawling moments come when someone he really loves comes home or over - he will start crawling one way then quickly rotate and go the other - sometimes repeating this 3 or 4 times. He will also do this if you go into another room and say "where's Zeke?!" Usually this begins a peek-a-boo by crawling in and out of sight game.
Other of Zeke's favorite activities include emptying all the tupperware and/or dish towels from the cabinets. Emptying all the pots and cookie sheets from the stove drawer. Emptying all of Ayla's markers from her marker boxes. Are you catching a theme? He also likes to play ball - and can REALLY throw - I mean take a ball, wind up and give it a good toss. A game of catch of some sort is almost a given in our house these days between Ayla, Zeke and I.
With the warmer weather we have been able to get outside more. If the front door opens Zeke immediately makes a b-line for it. And if Ayla or someone goes outside without him he is not too happy. He is pretty content in his swing outside otherwise he is just starting to get adventurous on the grass...but usually crawls on his hands and feet - avoiding his knees touching the ground. An interesting sight to see.
Zeke doesn't really say anything - but alot. And what I mean is he's a pretty vocal baby, but still really doesn't say anything but momma and dada - but not really in direct relation. He is starting to use some sign language for eat, all done, light, more and "yeahahahaha" which is waving his arms around crazy. : )
Of course these are all external things Zeke does. What he does internally to all of us is sometimes an overwhelming emotion if I really think about it - which I don't do nearly enough. Also, he and Ayla really do have a bond - and as they kind of "battle" more you can see their love becoming stronger too - and that is so amazing to see.
As their dad - I feel so blessed to have Ayla as my daughter - and Zeke as my son. Honestly I assumed a year ago we were going to have another girl - and would've been perfectly happy. But having a boy - having Zeke - well, he's my boy! To have Ayla and Zeke - that really is beyond words. Just ask me and look in my eyes sometime. Then maybe you'll get a glimpse of the answer.
One year ago you changed my life in ways I never could've imagined Zeke. Happy Birthday littlest boy. I love you.
Comments