Not just daddy daycare





So....I (jake) got a new job this summer. Well, career actually. I worked at an engineering firm (SEH) in Madison since I graduated tech college - I was 20 years old when I got the job. I was (am) 30 when I left. I was literally days from 10 years. At SEH I was a CAD Technician - meaning I drew via computer plan sets contractors used to build roads and bridges. Honestly, it' s never really been my "thing". But, it was a good job. Fair wage, flexible schedule, good benefits, retirement and very good people. But it never really was me. But that was ok. You work to work sometimes and that allows us to do "other things" with our free time. And seeing my dad work his tail off for the last 30 years, you learn to do your job, love your family and make the most out of life.

But sometimes an opportunity comes along that's, well, meant to be. I believe in God, and a God who is involved in our everyday lives. In this instance, I believe He got very involved.

As many of you know Ruth and I led the youth ministry (voluntarily) at a church for nearly 10 years. It was, for better words, my hobby. And something I actually seemed "good at" and gasp, even enjoyed. But it was never going to be a "career". I have a 2 year degree in cad drafting. And now I'm the Children and Youth Director at a Madison church. That doesn't just happen I guess. I won't get into the details here - I'd rather tell you in person so feel free to ask. But the simple story is door's opened and we kept walking through them.

So, after attending Christ Presbyterian Church for nearly 2 years, now I find myself working there. I basically am in charge of everything at church for kids 0-18. And I'm doing something I really enjoy. I know there will be tough days and there already have been sacrifices in other areas of life, but I know I'm different, in a good way, because of this.

And I'm thankful. One of the sacrifices with this job is I lose a few evenings a month with my family. Specifically bedtime, which I love. But now I actually "take care" of the kids one day a week on my own - something I didn't do before. Those days are Wednesday's - today. They are honestly harder than going to work somedays - but it's a "hard" I know is priceless. And worst case I at least get to dress the kids however - notice the Brewers outfits. : )

Comments

Grammy Pammy said…
Pretty soon, it will be Brewers outfits...with long johns underneath! Good job, Daddy! And precious time together you will never regret.
sarahmartin said…
This is my favorite post.

Popular Posts