Otto!!

Otto is almost 17 month old. Time is flying and he is changing and developing in such fun and funny ways. I want to try and capture some of it.

Ducks- he refers to ducks as “duck ducks” which sounds like “dada.” He loves them and gets so excited by his little rubber ducks (of which he has 3) or a picture of a duck in a book.

Mama!- so often we have these little conversations where he says “mama!” and I say “yeah Boo,” and then he babbles and babbles with conviction and you can tell he thinks he’s telling me all sorts of important things. And we’ll do that over and over.

Yeah/No- Otto is talking a lot and although he doesn’t have many words he seems to have a good comprehension when you talk to him and ask him things. He responds almost always with a “yeah” or “no.” Ask him if he wants water.(He loves water!!h  “Yeah.” Tell him we need to change his diaper. (He HATES getting a diaper change!) “No.”  No’s are almost always accompanied by the “all done” sign or a swat- he swats at a book he doesn’t like or a food he doesn’t want. He will also say “yeah” if something is happening that he approves of or wants a lot. Like he might say “Mama, yeah.” when he really wants me. Or will motion towards the ukulele and say “yeah.”

Gorilla- Otto’s favorite book, one of the only ones he actually lets us read to him is Goodnight Gorilla.

Stuffies- Anytime he encounters any soft stuffed animal he will make a scrunchy little face and give it a big hug and lay his face against it. Or if he sees something small and cute (like his new little finger puppet dog) he makes a little high pitched sound that you can tell means he thinks something is cute and he’ll hold whatever it is up against his face.

Singing- Otto sings! Jake sings him “Baa Baa Black Sheep” and I sing him “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.” When he is singing you can tell just by the tone- it’s higher pitched and kinda sing-songy. He says “how eye” like from Twinkle Twinkle and “Baba byyyaaa” like from Baa Baa Black Sheep.

Wow- One of the cutest things I have ever heard is Otto saying “wow!” or “oh wow!”  He’ll point out the window at the snow or at the Christmas tree and say “wow!” Oh it is cute!!

Signs- Otto signs “eat” “all done” “more” “please” (so cute, two hands on his belly) “light” “birdie”

Upside down- he’s been doing a baby headstand lately where he puts his hands and head on the ground and looks through his legs. He grins big and knows he’s being goofy.

Where?- Otto does the cutest little gesture for where? Like if Jake isn't around Otto will say “dada” and hold his hand out in a little shrug. Or if he wants his birdies turned in the sound machine he’ll point at the sound machine and then do his little shrug..

Belly-Otto has a preoccupation with bellies and belly buttons. He will lift up his shirt and point at his or try and lift up your shirt and point at yours and then laugh and grin.






Dada- means Dada or Duck Duck or Did it (as in “I did it!”)

Morning ritual- Each morning once he’s awake but still in his crib I ask him if he “wants his twinkles.” That means his twinkle lights. He says “yeah” and then I turn them on. The I ask if I can take his (sleep) sack off . He says “yeah” and the. I do!

Animal sounds- Otto just stared making some animal sounds. If you ask what a cat says he will smile and say “oww.” He also has been howling randomly. Is so cute not only because it’s a cute noise but also his mouth forms a tiny little O.

Bubba- Otto refers to Zeke as Bubba (we deemed him that to make it easier for Otto.) He adores Bubba! It’s like he wants to be like his big brother. It’s so interesting the different ways he loves his siblings: Ayla in a motherly, nurturing way and Zeke in a revered, look-up-to-him way. Sometimes he will sit in the basement recliner next to zeke and look at him and emulate him.








Possessions- Otto already connects certain objects with certain people. I’m sure this is pretty normal but it seems exceptional to me! Like he’ll see Zeke’s phone and say “Bubba!” Or he’ll pick up my shoes and say “Mama!” (He seems to really like bringing people their shoes.) 

Sad- whenever Otto is crying, the kids will ask “ why is he “saddity-chon?”

Hammock-He sits in the sling under his high chair like it is a hammock. Fairly often he takes the ukulele and sits in there like he’s swinging in a hammock strumming some tunes!




Names-we call him so many things. Chonny is still on the list. Shaboom, Boo, Bahyoomers, Boo Boo, Bubba-shone, I’m sure there’s tons more but I’m blanking right now. I’ll have to add them as they come to me.

Memory- for the sake of memory: He says “nana” when he wants food. He loves pizza and pasta, snack bars, applesauce packets.

He goes to bed at 7:30 and has shown us he can sleep till 7 but a lot of times it’s closer to 6. He’s wearing 24 month clothing and I just ordered him size 6 shoes.

He loves his vacuum and our big vacuum. He loves playing in the basement. He dances whenever he hears music. If Ayla is around he hands the ukulele immediately.
















Comments

Popular Posts