Always






Next to me on the table sits a light orange card with a sticker of a smiling sunshine on it. Inside reads "Daddy" with Love A in the cutest handwriting you'll ever see. : ) Ayla has signed a few cards lately, Mother's Day and my Dad's birthday (today - Happy Birthday Dad!) Ayla reminded me when I got home from work that he is 57. That would be amusing enough if that wasn't followed soon after by a "how was your day Daddy?". I have to say that one caught me off guard and I wasn't sure quite how to respond to her. It's auto pilot for me to usually say "fine" to Ruth, or anyone else for that matter. When a nearly 3 year old asks you it makes you stop for a second.

Ayla spent a little time with Papa Dave today (nice birthday present - and ask him about his card from Ayla if you talk to him soon) as Ruth had a dr appt. Everything is where it should be at this stage in the game you could say. Yesterday (mothers day) we saw Mana Sue for a short visit and then was over with Grammy Pammy and Grandpa Joe's for a couple of hours. They have lots o sticks in the front yard so I started picking a few up while we were all outside. Ayla proceeded to jump right in and start asking for bundles of sticks to carry herself. She's always ready to jump right in to things like that. She's a bit more cautious and shy around kids and people, but if it's me doing some yard work or chores like when Ruth sweeps the kitchen, she's always ready to lend a hand.

It's hard not to lose track of the time or moments these days. It's a contrasting feeling in some sorts of realizing any day could be our "last" as just the 3 of us. Obviously we are sooooo looking forward to meeting......you were looking for names? : ) And Ayla is seemingly excited too but now I'm starting to realize why the first born's are parents favorites...haha just kidding! 2nd child (or any other future children, just sayin) you may not use this as a reason for needing counseling someday! In all seriousness though it's an interesting thought when you think of how you've poured your focus into one for the last 3 years and then to focus that into 2 and feel like you'll know how to do that or love that much more. Someone very wise told us that what's neat about having more than one child though is you don't have to divide your love or create the love for them - they bring a new love out of you. Such a neat way to look at it because it will also bring out a new love from Ayla. Remind me of that when I'm separating them from fighting in 4 years haha. And for the record, 2nd kid, I can't wait to pour my love and focus into you too!

Ok, I'm getting real introspective here and you're just looking for highlights!

Ayla has been singing a lot more lately. Songs she knows "It's our time, to sing together, sing hello hello" which is a favorite from music class to just different lyrical variations to familiar tunes. The best is as bed time when she's singing herself down to sleep. Because otherwise she's usually calling us (me the sucker) back in for one reason or another.

As we have for years now, in variations we have a bedtime routine. The latest is read a few books in the rocking chair in her room with me, then she RUNS across the hall and gets "tucky and snuggie" with Ruth in bed. Then after that RUNS back into my arms in the chair for a last snuggle. What's funny is this time with Ruth can vary anywhere from 5 minutes and "ok, it's time for you to go to your bed" to 10 seconds where she's jumping out of bed before she ever really gets in. Ruth has really enjoyed these cuddly moments as of late though as have I listening from the other room.

If I transition randomly from one situation to the next bear with me. Like....tonight we were at the store and Ayla saw a box of red Jello. She carried it through the store and put it up on the check out. She's determined to make red jello soon even though she's never really had it that I know of. Hey, it's $0.50!

She's been using the phrase "May I" alot before asking for things, etc. The best though is when she says "May you" as in "May you play with my toys with me?"

She'll describe things or situations that are silly with this cute little eye squint and head tilt and say "that's silly". Hard to explain, but adorable to see and hear. Especially when she's sitting on the toilet and you're describing what Garfield is doing in one of the comic books too her. (speaking of counseling...)

Croquet. The kid (she's really becoming more of a kid) found our croquet set in the shed the other week and was determined to learn how to hit the ball. At first it was a meltdown fest as she didn't want my help but didn't understand how to hold or swing a croquet mallet. So, a couple days later I brought out some light plastic balls easier to hit. Nope, have to use the real ones. Finally, I brought in a mini club inside and showed her "right hand on top, left hand below" and used a ping pong ball. Now she goes outside and holds up her right hand and says "what's this?" I say your right hand. Then she'll hold up her left hand and say "what's this?". I'll say your left hand. Then she's say, "right hand on top, left hand below" and then while swinging say "kick it!". And actually hit the ball a couple feet.

I know this is long and random but just some thoughts spilling out of my mind before they're gone and she's yelling at me for not letting her stay out past 11....

Ruth did play twinkle twinkle little star on her toes today though per Ayla's request. She's still our baby girl....

Comments

yo mama said…
This blog is priceless. All the little and big things going on her little Ayla's life are captured forever. Wonderful!!
aureo06 said…
This blog got me all teary-eyed, especially because I am reading it after the arrival of little Zeke. I can't wait to hear how Ayla likes having a little brother around! :] Thanks for the updates about Ayla's special moments.

Popular Posts