Sleep In Heavenly Peace
This title has been used before - when Ruth's grandma (mom's mom), Dolly, passed away almost a year and a half ago. (We all still very much miss you too Grandma) Sadly, I have to use the title again, as yesterday morning, my grandma Aggie went to be with our Lord. She was 85 years old. She went peacefully with my mom and my uncle Tim and Aunt Chris at her side.
Sleep in Heavenly peace - never have the words of Silent Night gone so straight to the heart as I sung them last night during Christmas Eve service at church. On a lighter note, it was one of the few moments I was able to be "in" church as Ayla is always on the move! She was fine, just busy, and I enjoyed chasing her around in the sanctuary as many a Christmas Hymn was sung.
While I am certainly sad to have my Grandma go, there is something quite beautiful about her going to Heaven the day before we celebrate the birth of Christ. For I know my Grandma loved the Lord, and He is her savior. It was evident in many ways, such as the way she and Grandpa would talk about how the Lord helped them in their marriage (60 years this last June) and would remind Ruth and I to lean on Him in our own marriage. It was also evident when I was in the hospital room with her as she prayed with the priest just a couple weeks ago. It was also the last time Ruth, Ayla and I got to spend with her all together and it was a wonderful time. We even shared some Lorna Doons! : ) I was also able to see Grandma the day before she passed, and while she slept I was able to one more time let her know how grateful I was for her, and how we all loved her so much.
And what's comforting is that I know she really is in Heaven now, with Christ, and is at peace. And I also know that I really will see her again someday. I don't know what Heaven will really be like, but I do know that John 3:16 says - "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, and whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life".
And what's so neat is that on this Christmas Day, Grandma really gets the greatest present of all - to be with God - on the day that we celebrate Him coming to this Earth, which He did in order to ultimately bring us back Him in the end. For that, I give thanks to God. And so,
Grandma, I thank you, I miss you and I love you - and I'll definitely miss those olives from your martinis!
And to all of you who have lost someone, and miss them even more today, may God give you peace. And to all our family and friends - may you all have a Merry Christmas - Jake (Ruth & Ayla)
Comments