Freezing the obvious
As I sat thinking of how to start this post, I was doing everything in my mind to NOT start it with a statement about how cold it's been. But you know, that's life. Ayla just had her 4th day of school in 2014 cancelled due to the cold weather - not snow - cold. I assume this isn't surprising to anyone. Ayla hasn't been too bummed about it.
The 2 days before Christmas break Ayla had the stomach flu. Then of course break for 2 weeks (16 days including weekends). The week back to school after break the first 2 days were cancelled giving her a solid 20 days off in row.
In the 3 weeks of possible school since then she has missed 2 days for holiday/inservice, 2 days for illness and 2 more days for cold. With all the make-up days she should finish up school sometime in July...
What's unfortunate is it has set us "back to the beginning" in terms of Ayla going to school. The first month or so Ayla had a really hard time at drop off. It's not that she doesn't like school - the transition of leaving home - and her family - is really hard for her. Anyway, she goes - and doesn't fight it - but it's hard to see her in tears and willing herself in everyday. By mid October...I think...she had made it to the point of going with-I dare say-a smile on her face. The long break and subsequent stop-and-go nature of returning seems to have set us back to the early stages of that process again. Which means she'll be good to go by the time spring break rolls around and we'll begin again.
Otherwise we have all been disjointedly getting back into the groove of things. Perhaps the groove is disjointedness. In fact, I'm almost certain it is. Over the last few weeks we have been busy with work, school (sometimes), ice skating (when it's not 90 below), spending time with grandparents and cousins, going to church, working out (no really! haha)...
...taking naps...

...looking for cocoa mix...
...reading (or just about to).
Also there is writing books (Ayla is entering the PBS Kids writers contest), writing interesting letter combinations and words (referring to Zeke....I think some accidental Japanese as well), fighting colds and remembering to be thankful for a warm home.
This morning began with our kitchen being turned into an artist gallery with intermittent times of eating toast while Ruth took the frozen sleigh to the grocery store before I went to work.
It ended with Ruth and I watching an episode from season 2 of the BBC Sherlock Holmes. Sounds like a pretty typical (and good) day. Stay warm! (or cool if you're reading this in Brazil)
The 2 days before Christmas break Ayla had the stomach flu. Then of course break for 2 weeks (16 days including weekends). The week back to school after break the first 2 days were cancelled giving her a solid 20 days off in row.
In the 3 weeks of possible school since then she has missed 2 days for holiday/inservice, 2 days for illness and 2 more days for cold. With all the make-up days she should finish up school sometime in July...
What's unfortunate is it has set us "back to the beginning" in terms of Ayla going to school. The first month or so Ayla had a really hard time at drop off. It's not that she doesn't like school - the transition of leaving home - and her family - is really hard for her. Anyway, she goes - and doesn't fight it - but it's hard to see her in tears and willing herself in everyday. By mid October...I think...she had made it to the point of going with-I dare say-a smile on her face. The long break and subsequent stop-and-go nature of returning seems to have set us back to the early stages of that process again. Which means she'll be good to go by the time spring break rolls around and we'll begin again.
Otherwise we have all been disjointedly getting back into the groove of things. Perhaps the groove is disjointedness. In fact, I'm almost certain it is. Over the last few weeks we have been busy with work, school (sometimes), ice skating (when it's not 90 below), spending time with grandparents and cousins, going to church, working out (no really! haha)...
...taking naps...
...reading (or just about to).
Also there is writing books (Ayla is entering the PBS Kids writers contest), writing interesting letter combinations and words (referring to Zeke....I think some accidental Japanese as well), fighting colds and remembering to be thankful for a warm home.
This morning began with our kitchen being turned into an artist gallery with intermittent times of eating toast while Ruth took the frozen sleigh to the grocery store before I went to work.
It ended with Ruth and I watching an episode from season 2 of the BBC Sherlock Holmes. Sounds like a pretty typical (and good) day. Stay warm! (or cool if you're reading this in Brazil)
Comments