For her Daddy

I don't really know what to put here. I am not a writer. And there are certain things I especially have a hard time putting into writing because words are not adequate tools for what I desire to express.

If you are reading this you probably know us well enough to know that very soon I will have to say goodbye to my Dad (for now). And my dad isn't just my dad. He is my beloved Dad. My Daddy.



I am not going to try and make some poetical attempt to tell you what he means to me. I thought maybe I'd just talk about him.

My Dad taught me how to ride my bike... twice. Once as a little girl, much like any of you probably learned- with him running behind me holding on to the back of my seat. The second time was much different. As a young woman in my early 20's he taught me to RIDE my bike. I got a new job next door to his down on the capitol square and we started riding to work together. I'll tell you what, he kicked my butt those first years. I remember pedaling with all my might, lungs burning, eyes watering, just to keep up with him. Each new year March through November we would ride most mornings. In 2008 he helped me train for the GYGIG ride I did (210 miles in 3 days) out in the Seattle area. Through the years I truly learned to ride, to love-passionately- being on my bike. To this day it is my most favorite thing to do. In 2009 he got cancer and was no longer able to ride a traditional bike. He switched to a recumbent and we rode on. In 2012 he lost his left arm to the cancer. He switched the brakes around on his recumbent and we rode on. The last time we rode together was December 3, 2012 and it was in the 60's outside. We rode home in shorts and t shirts. I'm gonna miss my bike partner.

us leaving to bike to work last November


Some of my favorite other things my Dad has taught me? The importance of books and reading. How to throw and catch a baseball. How to punch. How to use tools. How to play cribbage.

We used to play games all the time together. My favorite one to play with him was this one called Black Box.

He was an amazing guitar player before he lost his arm. He has always been a good photographer.

I will always think of him when I see hummingbirds or morning glories.

Every year when I was little he and I would go buy fireworks for the 4th of July at the stands down Monona Drive. We would have our own little show after the city fireworks were over and done. I always enjoyed our little ones much more than the city's. Over the past few years our tradition changed a bit. With the arrival of Ayla and then Zeke, bedtimes are before it even gets dark out in the summer. So, we have taken to doing them in the winter and especially when there is a good, fresh snow. Many times we save them for Christmas or New Years. We did fireworks together this last Christmas.

Us about to go light fireworks last Christmas!


My Dad is a very wise man. I have always trusted and admired the way he doesn't rush into conclusions and opinions about something but gives it the thought, consideration, and sometimes the research it is due. I know that when he has something to say, he knows what he is talking about.

He is and always has been very handy. He can fix all sorts of things. He can build all sorts of things.

He is a very smart man. I call him up with questions about so many things and he usually has an answer. And if he doesn't I can guarantee he'll look it up cuz now you have HIM curious too.

My Dad is not a "man's man." He's more of a computer nerd. (sorry Dad :D) He was once(as was my entire family) described as being "scientific." Because of this I have to say I did not expect him to deal with the cancer in the way he has. With quiet strength. Steadfast determination. Grace. In the past few years I have been privileged to get to know a different side of my dad. His strength has been amazing. Like I said, he just switched around his brakes and rode on.

I know as time goes on I'm going to think of more and more things to add to this blog about him. I encourage you to check back and reread this from time to time. You will most likely find that I have added to it. I didn't even begin to get into what a wonderful Grandpa he is! (I do also have to say that one thing missing from this is a picture of him and my mom. I have a specific one I want to post but haven't scanned it in yet!)

Grandpa with newborn baby Ayla

Grandpa with newborn baby Zeke


Zeke is oh so comfy


Ayla and her Grandpa

Grandpa with ALL his grandkids! What could be better?


Dad and his 3 girls


Dad and Jake and some Christmas spirit. (right before they drank some Christmas spirits)




Me and my Daddy

Comments

yo mama said…
I can only hope that my children have the love, respect and awe that you have for your father. Beautiful!!!

Popular Posts